Football is a popular sport that involves kicking a ball to score a goal. Many unqualified people call football football. This game is popularly known as soccer in North America, Ireland, and Australia. It is also known as gridiron football in American football or Canadian football. In Australia, many refer to it as a rugby union or rugby league.
But apart from the name, they play with common football rules, which are known as ‘football codes’.
There are many common elements of football that players follow:
The elements of football can be grouped into two main classes of football-
- Carrying Code: In this code, it follows the carrying of the football in the rules where the ball is moved about the field while being held in the hands or thrown according to American football, Canadian football, Australian football, rugby union, and rugby league.
- Kicking Code: In this code, ball is moved with the feet only, like in association football and Gaelic football.
Football ground measurement with player position and common rules:
- Two teams usually have 11 to 18 players; some games have fewer players, like five or more per team.
- There is a fixed and clearly defined ‘football ground measurement’, in which the game is played.
- Scoring goals or moving the ball to an opposing team’s end of the field includes points.
- The goal or line is defended by opposite team players.
- Players use only their bodies to move the ball instead of any sport equipments like bats, sticks, etc.
Football ground measurement:
The field of the play, or “football ground measurement, is rectangular in size and marked with lines called boundary lines.
There are two types of lines:
- Touch Lines- The two longer boundary lines are touch lines.
- Goal Lines- The two shorter lines are goal lines.
It is very important to know that the length of the touch line is greater than the length of the goal line.
Both lines cannot be more than 12 cm wide.
- Length (touch line): minimum 90m, maximum 120m.
- Width (goal line): minimum 45 m, maximum 90m.
The center mark is at the halfway line. The radius of the circle is 9.15 m, which is marked around that line.
In order to guarantee that defending players retreat this distance when a corner kick is taken, markings are made off the field of play 9.15m from the corner arc and at right angles to the goal lines and the touch lines.
For senior football, the ground measurement is 105m long and 68m wide.
It is broadly divided into goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders, and forwards.
When looking at the size of a football field, the run-off area or buffer zone is at least 3 meters.
It is an area where the pitches are alongside each other; a minimum of 6m is required per side.
The run-off area is beyond any pitch, free from obstacles like dugouts and floodlight columns. It ensures that any players or officials are not injured by running.
Football ground measurement in Feet
The entire field is a rectangle that is 1.32 acres in size and is 360 feet (110 m) long by 160 feet (49 m) wide. The longer lines are called sidelines, and the shorter lines are called end lines.
Football Ground Dimensions
The field is the area bounded by the goal lines and touchlines. As per FIFA recommendation, the play dimensions are 105 meters by 68 meters. The field is rectangular in shape and marked with continuous lines. The touchlines should be parallel to the stadium orientation. It is also indicated that the field of play must be at oat level.
It is also said that the grassed area must include the ‘field of play. It also includes some extra areas for the player warm-up areas and assistant referee positions.
The area should be ample for player safety: Football ground dimensions:
- Space must be sufficient for the advertising boards, reducing the risk of collision
- It must avoid a change in surface that could affect the player’s footing.